Monday, July 6, 2009

Alternative, Part One

I have spent a lot of time by myself, recently... getting away from the chatter and drama of the multiverse, and during that time, an idea popped into my head: What if Chakotay was completely out of the picture for Voyager? What would it be like without him, especially for me? I started jotting down ideas on a PADD, and slowly a story began to form... this is all I have so far, but I intend to see it through to the end.

Alternative

"Wake up, Miss Pierce." Jean's eyes opened, glanced around.
"Doc," she murmured. "Why am I in Sickbay?"
"You were in an accident, Ensign. Please lie still." Jean complied for a moment, then...
"Ensign?!" She sat up on the biobed, and a wave of dizziness hit her. She lay back down, rubbing her forehead. "Since when have I been an ensign?"
"Since you arrived on Voyager. Due to your credentials, the Captain gave you a field commission. I remember that you said you were quite honored..." Jean interrupted, looking very confused.
"Hold on, Doc, back up... I don't remember getting a field commission. I arrived, and I had my title as Counselor, but I was never in Starfleet, had no rank... and I inteded to keep it as such, due to the complications I wanted to avoid." The Doctor shook his head.
"The accident must have caused some temporary amnesia - but, considering your psychic abilities, I'm sure you'll retrieve those memories soon." Jean closed her eyes.
"Where is Chakotay?" she asked wearily.
"Who?" At that, Jean's eyes snapped open.
"Very funny, Doc. Now where is he?"
"Ensign," the Doctor said, a little testily, "I have no idea who this Chalky person is. You need to rest." Jean sat up in alarm.
"Computer, where is Commander Chakotay?"
"There is no one by that name on this vessel," the computer replied, sounding slightly disapproving.
"Well, then who's the first officer of this ship?"
"The ship's first officer is Commander Tuvok." Jean's mouth dropped open.
"Tuvok?!"
"Yes," said the Doctor. "Tuvok has been Captain Janeway's first officer since we entered the Delta Quadrant, after the crews of Voyager and the Val Jean combined." Jean's eyes were wide and stricken.
"Who was the Captain of the Val Jean?"
"Tuvok was - he was very successful as an infiltrator for the Federation." Jean swung her legs over the biobed, and she realized she was wearing a blue science division uniform. She turned her head, and then put her hand to her hair, startled.
"My hair... it's short again!" There was deep shock in her eyes.
"It's always been short, you kept it that way. Jean, you need to lie back down immediately." Jean ignored the Doctor's instruction and stood up, tapped her comm badge.
"Pierce to Captain Janeway."
"Janeway here. Are you all right, Counselor? Are you still in Sickbay?"
"Yes, Captain, I'm still in Sickbay, but something is very wrong. I need to talk with you immediately."


"Let me get this straight - you say that my first officer was supposed to be one of the leaders of the Maquis?" Janeway sipped her coffee, an incredulous look on her face.
"Not just that, Captain." The liquid in Jean's cup was one of Neelix's herbal teas. She sipped it carefully, her green eyes haunted by her memories. "Chakotay was the main connection between Starfleet and the Maquis. He was your strong, loyal right arm, and someone who was unafraid to give you an opposing opinion. He was your best friend, Captain."
"He sounds like he would be, if he ever existed." Captain Janeway spoke firmly, but with a kind tone. "Jean, you started talking with me through the Twitter network, back when you were in the 22nd century. When Commander Tuvok and Lieutenant Paris were trapped on Arturis' ship, you established a psychic link with both of them to help us find them quickly. I was very grateful for your help.
"Not long after that, your original ship, Enterprise, came under attack. Your living quarters suffered a hull breach, and you almost were lost, but you managed to teleport yourself out of harm's way. But you somehow ended up on Voyager's brdige, instead of Enterprise's, as you had planned. I let your former Captain know that you were safe, and you spent a few days recovering in Sickbay." Jean shook her head.
"That's not what I remember... when I came to Voyager, it was my own choice. It took me a while to decided, but when I did, you already had quarters and an office prepared for me. Chakotay even left a personal gift in my office, and I transported myself specifically to him, to make sure that I would arrive safely."
"He seems very important to you." Jean glanced up, her eyes almost defiant.
"We loved each other. He was the most important man in the universe to me." Janeway sighed.
"You had better not mention that to Lieutenant Paris." Jean looked confused.
"Why? Why would Tom care so much about my personal life? He has B'Elanna." Janeway frowned, and sipped her coffee.
"Lieutenant Torres? He's dated her a few times, I believe, but it never went anywhere. But you, Jean... when you established your psychic contact with him, he said it changed his life. When you teleported here, he made excuses to be in Sickbay to look after you. I remember you were flattered by his attention, but uncertain - but he was very persistent." Jean was shocked, trying to reconcile things in her mind. Janeway studied her, worry lines appearing on her brow.
"You really don't remember, do you?" Jean shook her head, almost tearful.
"I pride myself on my memory, Captain... this sort of mental discrepancy... it scares me." Janeway stood up and patted Jean's shoulder.
"Ensign, you were in an accident, and suffered a head injury. You just need to take some time to recover. I know that the Doctor and Tom will do all they can to help you get your memories back. Now... I want you to go back to Sickbay - the Doctor wants to keep you there for observation." Jean nodded quietly.
"Yes, Captain." Jean rose, straightened, and almost fell over. Janeway steadied her, and suddenly Jean had a flash of... something. She recalled being in the Captain's Ready Room, in front of the senior staff, in a new blue science division uniform, and the Captain gently pinning a single pip to her collar. The senior staff clapped, and Tom Paris let out an appreciative whistle. She felt her mouth turn up in a fond smile as she looked at him...
Then she was back, and Captain Janeway had her by both shoulders. "Jean," she said urgently, "are you all right?" Jean gazed at her in confused wonder.
"I don't know..."
"I'll walk you back to Sickbay." Her tone brooked no argument, so Jean nodded and walked with her back down to Deck Five, to Sickbay. The Doctor turned to them as they entered.
"So, my wayward patient has returned. Are you going to stay in Sickbay now, or shall I ask the Cpatain to have Security guard the door?"
"I doubt that'll be necessary, Doctor," Janeway said dryly.
"I'll be good, Doc." Jean's mouth twitched into a half-smile.
"Good to know. Now, back to bed, Ensign." He indicated the biobed, and Jean sat on it with a sigh, put her legs up. As the Captain left, she leaned back and closed her eyes. The Doctor turned away...
He turned back, with a medical tricorder in his hand. He glanced up as the doors to Sickbay opened, and Commander Chakotay walked in, worry on his handsome face.
"Has there been any change in her condition, Doctor?" The Doctor shook his head.
"No change, Commander." Chakotay approached the biobed.
"Jean... please come back to me," he murmured as he reached out his hand and stroked Jean's hair - her long hair. She lay on the biobed, a small monitoring device on her temple, wearing a deep green civilian outfit, comatose.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment